Passionately connecting people to Jesus Christ.
Please also see our Core Values.
Statement of Core Beliefs
We, the members of First Baptist Church of Charlotte, Michigan, in order to fulfill the commission of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, do hereby subscribe to these Core Beliefs.
- In one God, eternally existing in three Persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
- That Jesus Christ, the Son, is the true God and the agent of creation of this universe. He gave up His position with the Father and took on the likeness of man through the conception of the Holy Spirit, born of a virgin. He died in our place for our sins, descended into Hell, physically rose again, and ascended into Heaven to sit at the right hand of God, the Father, making Him the only mediator between God and humankind.
- That the Holy Spirit's ministry is to reveal Christ to individuals for the salvation and sanctification of their souls. He further teaches and provides gifts to the believers equipping them to serve Jesus Christ.
- That the Holy Bible is inspired by God and is the supreme and final authority in faith and life. Written under God's inspiration, it is universal and without doctrinal error.
- That humankind was created in the image of God. Having a free will, however, humankind chose to go their own independent way, thereby sinning, and incurring spiritual death. Salvation is a gift of God and in no way a result of any good works. Salvation is received only by grace through faith in Jesus Christ.
- That life is a gift of God, which begins at conception with its ownership vested in its Creator.
- That human sexuality is designed for physical expression only in the bonds of marriage between a man and a woman.
- That the New Testament church is a group of believers committed to Jesus Christ. They come together for worship and fellowship. By the power, leading and gifting of the Holy Spirit they are committed to evangelism, discipleship, and ministry in the church and community. They are to encourage and educate each other in local, national, and world missions.
- That baptism is a reenactment of Romans 6:4, "being buried with Christ in baptism," in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Baptism is an external witness of the believer's previous experience, death to sin, burial of the old life, and resurrection to the newness of life.
- That the Lord's Supper is a remembrance of the Lord's death and a promise of His return.
- In the imminent, visible return of Jesus Christ to earth to establish His kingdom of justice and peace. He will have dominion and power forever more.
Source: Article II -- Statement of Core Beliefs, First Baptist Church of Charlotte, Michigan Constitution